Friday, December 7, 2007

Tyson's Thailand Adventures...

Well, a few days ago I came to Thailand from India. I am going to be here for a total of 10 days before returning to the States. Just for those that do not know, I spent a year in Thailand as an exchange student in high school so Thailand holds a special place to me.

So far Thailand has been everything I thought it would be. I absolutely love this place. I love the people, the food, the language, everything. It is a wonderful place. The first day i was here I just ate as much as I possibly could getting all of the food that I remember loving. And guess what? It is as good as it ever was. That evening I went to dinner with my former host sister and host brother. It was great. Evan was with us (a guy who is traveling with me who was also an EAP student in India) and it was really fun chatting in Thai and English and just having a good time.

Speaking Thai has been wonderful. Thailand is really the only place one can use their Thai if they know it. I can't even really use it in restaurants in America. When I first got to Thailand it was really confusing; I was speaking half in Thai and half in the broken Hindi I know. But after about 2-3 days my Thai has really come back. Here in Railay, my favorite beach in Thailand, I have been making friends with all the locals. There is something wonderful about being the only white person in a tourist dominated destination that knows Thai. You just get to see things, do things, and understand things that most people just don't get to. I just really love this language and am realizing just how much I have missed Thailand.

Soon I will go to Ratchaburi, the town I stayed in for my exchange program. I will get to see my host family and just wander around that town again. I am very excited about that. I am glad I came to Railay first though because i needed to practice my Thai. In Ratchaburi, not to many people speak English. Imagine a white person coming in speaking a broken Hindi-Thai mix...

Hopefully I will be able to write one last time in Ratchaburi (where the Internet is cheaper!) about Thailand and my host family. But I hope this little excerpt gives you an idea of what is going on.

No comments: