Monday, October 15, 2007

Where Am I Again?

I have to continue to be in awe of Mumbai just because it is, well, not Inida. Let me explain...

Last night we went out for dinner near Chowpatty Beach which is a big hang out for Mumbaikars hang out. It is known for its good street food (which alas we did not have). As we were driving there (in a TAXI, not rickshaw, which used a METER...what?!), we saw towering high rises and neon billboards littering the peninsular coast. It was beautiful but also so weird. We went out to this restaurant that was sheik with modern art on the walls and intimate lighting rather than a place with peeling wallpaper and fluorescent lighting. I kept thinking to myself, "This is India?"

Then this morning I woke up a little early and got breakfast by myself. I went to a famous little restaurant where all the foreigners eat called Leopold's and ordered eggs and toast. I brought my iPod and was listening to Miles Davis and looking out the window onto a street full of taxis and traffic. I felt like I could be in a New York dinner or San Francisco having an early morning cup of coffee. It was so surreal. I feel like this whole time I have been in Mumbai I keep asking myself, "Where am I again?" because it doesn't feel like the India i know at Delhi. Nonetheless, I love the vibrant feel of this town. One knows that one is in a world class city here and it is so easy to revel in that feeling.

But today I leave for Delhi and quite honestly, I am glad. I have really come to love that place. Besides, I miss a good north Indian thali plate with masala paneer, dal, and rice! Mmmm...

No comments: