Sunday, September 23, 2007

Restful Weekend

This weekend was the first in nearly a month where I didn’t have anything going on. It was wonderful. I sat at home, watched movies hung out with my roommates, played computer games, and ordered food in. I was getting over being sick too so it was nice to finally conquer that.

But one thing exciting came up. After I went to church (the same one I preached at), I went to Madhu’s house for lunch again. It was wonderful. I really love that guy and his family. His house just has such a warm environment and already so many good memories of good talks and community. Not surprisingly, most of the conversation was about Dalit issues. We are both involved in it now and both very interested in it. Furthermore, I think he is enjoying educate me on the Dalit issues. I am slowly learning the history and knowing of the thinkers and leaders of the Dalit community. It is very interesting. After talking about this a while, I thought that it would be a good idea to try and organize a conference for EAP students and other American/ western students on the Dalit issue so as to further educate others. I mentioned this to him and he got really excited and said he would love that. He asked me to try and organize it and said if I could make it happen with my group that he would get some of the national leaders he works with to come and speak to us. He was saying that he could get people who spearheaded much of the modern Dalit movement. How cool would that be?! It would also be good for them because they could get good press for it, even if only like 15 Americans show up. Needless to say I was very excited. So it looks like I have a new project in Delhi.

I am also excited because I will be going to do my South India Trip soon. I and four other leave this Friday. For those that are interested in the itinerary, here is the basic outline: Chennai, Mamallapuram, Pondicherry, Kanyakumari, Varkala, Kerala backwaters, Cochi, Goa, Mumbai. It is going to be a worldwind tour but I think very cool. I am very excited!

No comments: