Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Monkey Brawls

One thing you can never count on in Mussorie is sleep. Why? Well let me tell you...

This morning I was sleeping soundly in my bed until I was abruptly awaken by a crashing sound on my roof. Now to the untrained ear, this could be quite a surprise, but not for me. You see it is not uncommon for monkeys to scamper across the roof early in the morning (6:00am) because there is a territory war. They fight for dominance all the time and usually, or so it seems, that fight is carried out on the roof. The roofs are tin so they clatter with deafening affects and to add insult to injury, they also screech wildly. Usually the babies are with them so the screech is one of utter terror. They run up and down the roof and berate each other with seemingly impossible high- pitched screams. Once in while, I look out my window and see them running all around. If you are lucky, you might see them fight for a bit.

Everyone thinks monkeys are cute. They fawn all over them and think they are so fun to watch. Alas, all I want is to be woken up by my alarm once in a while and not the monkeys... stupid monkeys...

1 comment:

bradjb911 said...

hey tyson...so I just read all you blogs(which you forgot to tell us all about by the way but you can thank Kayte later) and this monkey one is by far my favorite. A territory war on your roof what if you armed one side with sticks? Could you shift the monkey balance of power? Would they teach other monkeys to use sticks too? And the other pictures were beautiful. You sound like its a great experience...come to Australia if your in the neighborhood(and by neighborhood I mean hemisphere).

Brad